Thursday, May 17, 2007

Still Stumbling

For the past few days, I've been going internet crazy. I have been reading all sorts of people's blogs as well as amateur and professional pop culture critism. I have always been excited by the idea of just basking in each other's thoughts. I truly love to get inside the thought process of another human being and attempt to understand what and who they are. The internet is full of other souls and their take on life. I find the easy access to this array of thought intoxicating. All day I've been reading random blogs and other people's thoughts on music (from rateyourmusic.com).....and i've loved every moment of it! All the honesty, all the drama, all the comedy, all the bits of genius; little snippets of people are everywhere, and their content is real. I can't quite find the words to say what I'm trying to say, so I'll just jump to the bottom line:

I love people and their thoughts on life. I love art and pop culture and I love what people have to say about art and pop culture.

So I started this blog to allow myself to take part of the infinetely growing pool of ideas and thoughts.

The problem is, I am not a great writer. I feel like I cannot organize my thoughts into a seemless flow of ideas, nor can I write very clearly and succinctly. I hope that continually writing in this blog will eventually improve my skills enough to satisfy me. I will also continue to read other blogs to look for good writing and figure out why it is good writing, so that I may apply it to my own writing process.

Yesterday, I wrote my first review on rateyourmusic.com and it is not very good. The review was on Wilco's new album Sky Blue Sky. Click here to read it. Scroll down until you see the review by Shoakley (that's me!). I am not so sure why it isn't a good review, so I hope that some of you can help me.

I once thought that I was a good writer. After being in college for two years, I realize that I am still very much stumbling through the art of expressing myself.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll most certainly help as much as I can, if you'll have it.

I have three blogs. I didn't know if you knew that, but I most certainly do. All three of them are lacking in updates at the moment, but that will change very very soon.